My name is Charlotte, sometimes known as Ms Lottie, occasionally as The Slightly Mad Quilt Lady. This is my blog, where you'll find me writing a lot about my quilting and textile arts and a little about my family's life in a small seaside town in New Zealand. Haere mai!

Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Chicken Flower Quilt


So I haven't been in the blogosphere for a wee while.  I'll blame it on the friend who talked me into doing the Kerikeri half marathon.  I'll be walking it next Saturday and the training is cutting into my blogging time (it's probably better for me!)  But this Saturday was the Bay of Islands P and I show and my Chicken Flower quilt won first prize in the "Patchwork Article over 40cm" section!  Woot!


I don't think I've showed it to you since it's been finished and I know the photo above is not the best but every time I try and shoot it, it's windy or dull or too sunny.....I know, excuses, excuses!


Or I have a little annoying cute helper who just has to be in the shot!


Here's a close up of the machine free-motion quilting I did.  Basically just loop de loops and curlicues.  But I added a few things in for fun.


Like this feather.  And the recipient's name is quilted into it a couple of times, plus a butterfly and the odd flower and leaf.  She can have fun searching for them.

So think of me next Saturday - I'll consider myself a success if I finish, I'm not aiming for a particular time!  And after that, maybe I'll be able to spend a little more time here updating you on what's happening in my world.

13 comments:

  1. Well done you! I don't mind coming second to such a beautiful quilt, and I'm sure it will turn into a treasured heirloom once it's in its intended recipients hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes well done - to both of you! Can hardly believe my reverse applique made third after both yours, it had a fraction of the time put in of both yours! Need to practise my quilting so one day I dare to show it, yours is so beautiful!!!! PS Where did the chickens go, definitely flowers now lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Congrats...your quilt looks fabulous, Charlotte! LOL@your cute photo embellishment..hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done girlie! laughing at your helper, I often have the same kind of problem...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is beautiful and obviously others think so too!Great quilting.
    Good luck with the 1/2 marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it vis 1st prize too. Gorgeous everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No wonder it won! it's gorgeous. We were there yesterday too. It was even bigger again this year. It's a brill day out.
    Oh and good luck next weekend - we're going too, but only to the street party! I'm saving myself for the Ocean swim series in December :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh WOW, thats gorgeous. I'm still waiting to hear how your retreat went??? Have fun at the marathon - is it fun I wonder? Maybe just good luck is better LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic honor you received! Great job girl. I love the quilting you did. I am very happy for you...Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the win! I'm too chicken to attempt free motion quilting, so to me it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh well done! It is gorgeous. And good luck for the half marathon!! Mike attempted his first one this year - running, though. Came in with a respectable time, very proud to be able to say he did it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She is one lucky little girl for sure. Cannot wait to get a hold of this xxxx. For your time I will personally bring a cheer squad to the half, consisting of at least 3 children, but probably more like 6 and their Mama's ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you had a great Half-marathon!! Your quilt is lovely - and well done on the imaginative quilting...I love that you put the recipient's name into it.. truly unique.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :)
Due to a huge increase in spam, I've disabled anonymous comments. Apologies if this effects any real life readers!